Sunday, October 08, 2006

Wyatt, I am rolling.

So it has been a while since I've posted to this page...and that means if you're reading this I owe you a debt of gratitude for your interest in my stories. Luckily, this break is a result of things going great in virtually all facets of my life, and I haven't been this happy in a long, long time.

Las Vegas was great for reasons I could never have anticipated. I didn't really meet anyone new, but I did have some amazing interactions with my good friends Jeremy and Jimmy that probably would not have taken place anywhere else in the world. I learned a lot about myself as I became immersed in an environment so significantly unique. The level of excess and opulence was such that it became a non-issue - I am no longer impressed by anything material or temporary, and somehow that allowed me to look deep within myself at my values and goals in life. Real friends are essential to that process, and I was consistently impressed with the insights they offered in response to my self-examination.

When it was time to leave, I was definitely ready. My friends in Denver were excited about the job opportunities, and so I was eager to get back and try to resume a more functional existence. Before I even had a chance to interview for a job I was working at a fine dining restaurant in Cherry Creek - the trendy, expensive shopping and culinary district in Denver. The money was great, the work was easy, and my new perspective and attitude seemed to make all the difference in my ability to be even more engaging interpersonally. I realized that I could get respect without being as much of a hardass as I had previously, and I could avoid being taken advantage of by speaking my mind in such a way as to not be threatening or confrontational. I also began to lose the chip on my shoulder that comes inherently with working in a position that makes no explicit use of my "education".

My good fortune in August allowed me to look ahead, and I convinced my friends and roommates Shaun and Jollene to take a quick weekend jaunt back to Portland to pick up Max. It didn't take much convincing, and I think I may have won a couple more Northwest converts in the process. Some people spend Labor Day weekend partying, or laying around the house, but I can't think of a better use of time than nearly 5,000 miles traveled while getting closer with friends, seeing the ocean, Clear Lake, and reuniting with the greatest dog in the world after three months of separation.

We made it back in time for me to put full efforts into getting a job at a new restaurant down the street. It will be the top steakhouse in town and I had a connection, which I worked to the bone. I've always enjoyed working as a server, and this is the chance to make this profession work for me, instead of the other way around. More than the money, I'm excited by the opportunity to be working at the highest level in my field, the chance to be the best at doing what I do. I finally have accepted this "career" as a viable option - it's challenging, provides opportunity for advancement towards things that I'm working towards down the line, and forces me to practice communicating and develop more interpersonal skills that will pay huge dividends down the line. Looking forward to going to work is a nice change for me - I'm not going to lie about that.

In non-work related good news, I have moved into a house in a semi-permanent situation for the first time since I left Colorado Springs in the summer of 04. I couldn't be happier about that fact. It's not a beautiful house, but it is perfect for our situation. The dogs are in heaven with our huge back yard, and it's just so pleasing to have a place to call "home" again. We also have an extra room, so if you ever want to see beautiful Colorado, just give me a call.

Finally, this past weekend was my five year CC reunion. It was amazing to see people who I haven't seen in years but are still great friends. The events were fun, but the highlight of the weekend was just sitting and shooting the shit with old friends while getting the Colorado Springs sunburn. I also reinforced the realization that binge drinking is no longer for me - I've got my anger very much under control ninety five percent of the time, and there's no reason not to make it 99 by cutting out a behavior I don't even really enjoy that much anymore. Thanks to anyone who's reading this that made it out,and if you didn't come, know that you were missed.

So things are good. I haven't been this happy in a long, long time. Thanks for checking in.

3 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you last weekend!
-jackson

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Vickie Chambers said...

i miss my northwest. can't wait for christmas. are you coming home this year? do you know?

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss my northwest. can't wait for christmas. are you coming home this year? do you know?now?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home