Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sunny Laramie

Imagine trying to pilot a sailboat into the wind, powered only by the outboard. There were points when I was flooring the accelerator to keep the truck at 45 mph, and points where I was coasting downhill and still slowing down. I've always been impressed by the wind along this corridor...this is a new experience.

After a quick pause to make sure the camper wasn't going to blow off the back of the Bronco, I soldiered on with the encouragement of my faithful traveling companions, Max and Carmela. Max has made this trip multiple times in the past, but his little sister is not quite sure what's going on. Luckily they both still love me, and let me know every time I stop and we all cuddle up together.

Last night was a piece of cake. Once we get buttoned in to the camper for the evening, we're in a cozy, cozy nest that not even the harshest Wyoming wind can penetrate. There were some serious gusts throughout the night - enough to wake all three of us - but on the whole we were all able to log some quality sleep hours.

Unfortunately, now that I'm here in Laramie all signs point to I-80 being closed to the west yet again. At this point there's no need to push my luck...maybe the calm will come soon. I just can't wait to get out of the wind tunnel that is Wyoming.

2 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Debi said...

Hang in there! It is a desolate part of the country. Imagine trying to do it in a covered wagon with oxen, kids, a wife and others.....no wonder no one lives there...Be safe and know that we are patiently waiting for you.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Vickie Chambers said...

We don't have to imagine it Mom- we played Oregon Trail growing up. (slash also on my phone during class today...)

and little sisters hardly ever know what's going on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home