Thursday, January 29, 2009

Westerly wilderness

Well, it's now time to check in from the burgeoning metropolis of Rock Springs, Wyoming (home to 56 nationalities!).

I awoke to a pre-dawn chill in Laramie to take full advantage in a foreseen break in the wind between 7 and 10 a.m. this morning. We beat sunrise as we mounted ourselves back on interstate 80, and started West with hopeful hearts. The wind came and went, but was never as fervent as that 50 mile stretch between Cheyenne and Laramie. Having survived that maelstrom prepared me mentally for the fact that, despite it's creaks and groans to the contrary, the camper was bolted in solidly and was going nowhere.

There were enough gaps in the wind for me to appreciate the quiet that calm can bring...and to make me certain that getting out of the wind as soon as possible is best for all involved. Unfortunately I have 107 miles left until I break free of Wyoming, and depending on the weather I may not enter Utah until daybreak tomorrow. It's about 360 miles from this point of the Wyoming/Utah border to Boise...and that's at least 7 hours of driving for me. I was hoping to clear Utah by the end of the day today, but I just don't think it will happen.

There are allegedly snow showers/flurries in my future...so hopefully they'll be falling peacefully to the ground without gale-force winds to slap them in my face. If it comes to that point, I'll be back in the camper with HBO shows on the ipod and 100 lbs of dog squirming all over me.

I don't know when you'll hear from me next, but starting this evening I should be in cell range the rest of the way, so you won't have to worry. AAA has my back in a pinch...and hopefully there will be no pinching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home